The following is a list of some things the court staff can and cannot do for you. Please read it carefully before asking the court staff for help.
To assist you, court staff can:
- answer questions and explain how the court works.
- tell you what the requirements are to have your case considered by the court.
- provide you with samples of available court forms.
- provide you with guidance on how to fill out forms.
- usually answer questions about court deadlines.
- provide you with the telephone number of the lawyer referral service.
Court staff cannot:
- give you legal advice - only your lawyer can give you legal advice.
- tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
- give you an opinion about what will happen if you bring your case to court.
- recommend a specific lawyer.
- talk to the judge for you about what will happen in your case.
- let you talk to the judge outside of the courtroom.
- change an order issued by the judge.
Please notify the court for any accommodations needed. For additional information on the New Jersey Judiciary or the municipal courts, please go to www.njcourtsonline.com.