The Borough of East Rutherford provides curbside collection of all household garbage and recyclables. Please do not discard any of these materials at the Public Works garage or recycling facilities. This will result in a fine of up to $1000.00 as per ordinance. The Borough is NOT permitted to collect hazardous waste. These items are collected by the Bergen County Utility Authority. Please check www.bcua.org for dates, times, and drop-off locations.
Reminder: As per Borough ordinance 2012-8, garbage and recycling cans may weigh no more than 50 pounds each and must be 36 gallons or less in size.
PLEASE DO NOT DISPOSE MEDICAL WASTE IN YOUR GARBAGE OR RECYCLING. CONTACT BERGEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON DISPOSAL OF MEDICAL WASTE - General Office: (201) 634-2600.
TIN/ALUMINUM CANS, GLASS JARS/BOTTLES, PLASTIC BOTTLES/CONTAINERS MUST BE CLEANED
1. Recyclables - The following items may be placed loose, in one container labeled for RECYCLING ONLY: newspapers, magazines, junk mail, telephone books, office paper, tin/aluminum cans, glass jars/bottles, plastic bottles/containers, corrugated cardboard/chipboard (should be flattened and placed in container with other recyclables). Stickers for your designated RECYCLING only container may be obtained at the Dept. of Public Works office, 300 Hackensack Street, Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
2. Heavy Trash - Metals, unpainted/untreated wood (no longer than 6 feet in length), furniture, appliances, electronics, rigid plastic. (Both East End & West End are collected.)
3. Yard Waste - (Mondays only) Grass clippings & leaves must be placed in biodegradable bags (DO NOT mix dirt, rocks or branches); brush & tree branches can be placed at the curb, tied and no longer than 6 feet in length. Biodegradable bags can be picked up at 300 Hackensack Street & are available to East Rutherford residents ONLY. (At NO time may loose leaves be raked and or piled at the curb line.) (Both East End & West End are collected.)
4. Automobile Batteries / Motor oil / Tires / Paint / Cooking oil / Cleaning products / fluorescent bulbs - May be dropped off at the recycling yard at 2 Maple Street, East Rutherford.
5. Rigid Plastic - Items such as storage containers, buckets, toys without motors, yard toys, etc. are recyclable and are collected on heavy trash days only!
NO PLASTIC BAGS - Do not place recyclables in plastic bags or dispose of plastic bags in with your recycling. Please repurpose used bags or return them to your grocery store.
Please do not put shredded paper in your recycling; you may bring it to the drop-off center located at 2 Maple Street.
Clothes and shoes may be dropped at the recycling yard in the bins
Ink cartridges may be dropped off at the recycling yard
You are in violation of the Borough of East Rutherford’s ordinances if you fail to comply with the following regulations:
- Garbage, trash, and recyclables must be placed at the curb on the correct day of collection.
- All recyclables must be separated from garbage and trash.
- Materials must be placed curbside for collection NO EARLIER THAN 6PM THE DAY BEFORE COLLECTION AND NO LATER THAN 7AM THE DAY OF COLLECTION.
- MATERIALS MUST BE PLACED IN THE PROPER CONTAINERS NOT WEIGHING MORE THAN 50 LBS EACH.
- Placing household garbage or trash in public baskets is strictly prohibited.
- Recyclables placed curbside become the property of the Borough of East Rutherford. Unauthorized scavengers will be prosecuted. If you see a scavenger, report them to the East Rutherford Police Department at (201) 438-0165.
You are on the East End collection days if you live on:
You are on the West End collection days if you live on:
Boiling Springs Avenue
Central Avenue (from RR crossing to Mozart St.)
Paterson Avenue (from RR crossing to Route 17)
Van Winkle Avenue
Central Avenue (from RR crossing to Willow Street)
Paterson Avenue (from RR crossing to Passaic River)
Willow Wood Court