The East Rutherford Police Department began protecting borough residents and properties in 1899. The department was officially designated by Borough Ordinance in April of 1906.
Police Headquarters was initially located within the Borough Hall at 1 Everett Place.
Through the years, the Borough of East Rutherford began to grow, and the responsibilities of the officers of the police department began to change.
In 1963, cramped for space for officers and equipment, Police Headquarters was moved to 312 Grove Street, the renovated Department of Public Works Garage, where it remained until January of 2013.
Once again, with the addition of the New Jersey Sports Complex, now home to MetLife Stadium, the IZOD Center and Meadowlands Racetrack drawing professional sports fans and visitors from around the world, the responsibilities of our officers becoming more complex the Mayor and Council began planning the construction of a new state-of-the-art Municipal Police and Courts Building.
In December of 2010, after years of planning, construction of the new East Rutherford Police Headquarters and Municipal Court Building began. On January 22, 2013, the officers of the East Rutherford Police Department began operation at our current headquarters at 117 Stanley Street.
Our current headquarters, with its combination of state of the art communications and computer technology, premiere evidence storage and cell block allows us to continue our proven tradition of service to our residents and visitors.